On November 20, 2014, the University Health System in San Antonio released its Community Trauma Report, which details the types and rates of injuries that the University Hospital staff treat annually. Below are just a few of the more shocking highlights:
- Overall, the hospital treated 3,246 adult trauma patients in 2013 compared to just 2,502 in 2009 – almost a 30% increase. This translates to an overall injury rate increase from 140.8 per 100,000 people in 2013 to 172.7.
- Bicycle crash injuries in adults rose 633% between 2009 and 2013 from 0.3 to 2.2 injuries per 100,000 people.
- 25% of injuries that required patients to be admitted for at least 24 hours were caused by vehicle crashes.
- Of the vehicle crash victims treated at the hospital, 36% of them were injured in a collision involving alcohol or drugs.
- 40% of children injured in automotive crashes were not properly restrained.
The number of trauma patients from the 14 counties of the Eagle Ford Shale region has been steadily increasing: there were 523 trauma patients from the region in 2009, 708 in 2012, and 744 in 2013; of course, all of these numbers are from after the start of the drilling and fracking boom in Texas.
Most patients injured in the Eagle Ford Shale region were hurt in vehicle crashes, though some were also victims of industrial accidents with conditions like burns or crushing injuries.
While these statistics are shocking and sobering, the attorneys at Crosley Law Firm have also been taking on more personal injury cases involving bicyclists, auto collision victims, and trucking crash victims – especially from the Eagle Ford Shale region and other places where the fracking and drilling industries have been developing.
At Crosley Law Firm, we routinely litigate personal injury and wrongful death cases involving bicycle crashes, car collisions, and trucking wrecks. With a personalized approach to every case, every one of our clients gets the best Crosley Law Firm has to offer: years of experience, advanced technology, and our no-fee policy. If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, contact Crosley Law Firm right away. You can talk to one of our attorneys directly by calling our toll-free number and setting up a free consultation or you can conveniently submit the details of your situation online using our free online case review form.
University Health System. (2014). Second annual community trauma report. University Health System. Retrieved from http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/files/2013-community-trauma-report-web.pdf