- 1. We Fight for Drunk Driving Accident Victims
- 2. Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers That Get Results
- 3. Getting Fair Compensation for a Drunk Driving Accident May Be Harder Than You Think
- 4. Crosley Law Firm Takes a Detailed, Aggressive Approach to Drunk Driving Personal Injury Claims
- 5. Drunk Driving Is Far Too Common in Texas and San Antonio
- 6. Criminal Sentencing vs. Civil Liability in Drunk Driving Cases
- 7. Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Drunk Driving Accident?
- 8. How Much Is My Drunk Driving Accident Claim Worth?
- 9. Contact the Crosley Law Firm Today
We Fight for Drunk Driving Accident Victims
You might think that your drunk driving accident lawsuit will be easy. After all, how could there be any doubt about who was at fault?
Unfortunately, this is a serious mistake. Even if they were over the legal limit, the other driver’s insurance company might question the necessity of your care, dispute the severity of your injuries, or even try to pin some of the blame on you.
A drunk driving accident can change your life forever. If you have been injured or lost a loved one because of a drunk driver, you should contact an aggressive San Antonio personal injury lawyer immediately. Depending on your circumstances, you might have multiple liability and insurance claims arising out of the crash.
At Crosley Law Firm, we help our clients understand their rights, rebuild their lives, and pursue justice. Schedule a free consultation by completing our online contact form or calling 210-LAW-3000 | 210-529-3000.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers That Get Results
Over the years, the team at Crosley Law has won millions for drunk driving car accident victims with severe or catastrophic injuries, as well as for the loved ones of those who did not survive.
Some of our big wins include:
- A six-figure settlement for a pregnant woman. Our clients, Jamie and her brother Ryan, were stopped at a red light when a drunk driver slammed into their car at full speed. During the deposition, the driver admitted that she had consumed 12 beers over 3-4 hours—and hadn’t seen their car until a split second before impact. Despite this, the insurance company tried to get Jamie and Ryan to take insultingly low settlement offers. Once it was clear we were willing to go to court, however, they changed their tune. (Also, we’re happy to report that Jamie’s baby was born healthy and safe.)
- $28 million for a grieving family. Aleisha and her husband were working on a car, parked outside their home, when a drunk driver smashed into them—killing the husband, severely injuring Aleisha, and causing significant financial hardship and emotional trauma for the family. The driver’s attorney argued that punitive damages were unnecessary and refused to settle. But we disagreed—and thanks to Crosley Law’s comprehensive investigation and presentation, so did the jury.
- Multiple settlements for an injured passenger. Our client, Bethany, was severely injured when the car she was riding in hit a vehicle parked in the middle of the Interstate and flipped. This case was extremely complex. The weather conditions were terrible, but Bethany had been pressured to go along anyway, and the driver felt no remorse for the decision. The parked vehicle had been driven by a severely intoxicated man. In the end, Crosley Law negotiated maximum policy limits settlements from four insurance policies, including those of drunk driver and the driver of Bethany’s vehicle.
Request Your Free Consultation
Getting Fair Compensation for a Drunk Driving Accident May Be Harder Than You Think
Drunk driving accident cases are rarely easy or straightforward.
You must do more than prove the other driver’s blood alcohol content was above the legal limit. Drunk driving may be illegal, but from your perspective, the goal isn’t to make sure the driver gets a ticket or spends time in jail. It’s to get the compensation you deserve.
If you want to win your personal injury case, you’ll need to prove several things:
- The drunk driver’s actions were the primary cause of the accident
- Your injuries were a direct result of the drunk driving wreck and are as severe as you claim
- You suffered financial and emotional losses due to the crash
Sometimes, drunk driving lawsuits can result in punitive damages, which are meant to punish excessive recklessness. But these damages are tough to obtain, and you’ll need a strong legal strategy to maximize them.
Meanwhile, the other insurance company will be fighting you the whole way. Their goal is to save money, not to protect your rights. You might even need to defend yourself against accusations that you were partially responsible for what happened.
Crosley Law Firm Takes a Detailed, Aggressive Approach to Drunk Driving Personal Injury Claims
At Crosley Law Firm, we know that attention to detail is essential in a drunk driving liability claim. Our goal is to build the strongest case possible based on the unique circumstances of our client, and that often requires digging far below the surface.
We Conduct a Comprehensive Investigation
We’ve earned a reputation for our meticulous investigations. We’ll collect all the necessary evidence and methodically sift through everything we find:
- Police reports
- Blood-alcohol content data
- Witness statements
- Sobriety test videos
- Dash cam footage
- Event recorder data
- Mobile phone and other electronic data
- Other valuable information
Our investigators will get to the scene to collect evidence as soon as possible, no matter where in Texas the accident took place. Key pieces of evidence can often disappear if you don’t work quickly to preserve it, so we recommend you don’t delay in contacting us.
We also conduct background checks on drunk drivers, looking for patterns of reckless driving and other disrespect for the law. These details are often what help convince an insurance company to offer a better settlement, or a jury to award additional damages.
We Help You Get the Best Possible Medical Care
Medical treatment and evidence are vital to a drunk driving claim. At Crosley Law Firm, we want to see our clients recover from their injuries. We also know medical evidence can strengthen their DWI accident claims by documenting their injuries, explaining their symptoms, and linking their conditions to the crash.
Unfortunately, many accident victims have a hard a time getting adequate medical care. For this reason, we help our clients find doctors that accept their medical insurance. If you are uninsured, we can attempt to negotiate payment agreements with a network of local physicians.
We Use Sophisticated Tactics and Work With Renowned Specialists
When necessary, we use cutting-edge technology and recruit nationally renowned experts in toxicology, physics, engineering, and vehicle crash reconstruction to help juries understand the complex issues involved in a DWI accident case.
We also work with medical experts and life care planners, helping our clients make wise financial decisions, maximize their financial recoveries, and plan for their futures.
We Fight for Our Community
Drunk driving usually involves a conscious decision by an impaired driver to get behind the wheel. Drunk drivers are harmful to society, and we do everything within our power to hold drunk drivers accountable.
By aggressively pursuing these cases, we aim to make the roadways safer for other drivers in the future. To us, these are more than just cases. They are a cause. That’s why we sometimes handle these cases pro bono, especially when police officers are harmed by drunk drivers while in the line of duty.
Drunk Driving Is Far Too Common in Texas and San Antonio
In 2021, more than a thousand Texans—1,077, to be precise—were killed in drunk driving accidents. In the City of San Antonio alone, drunk drivers caused 1,741 crashes. Those crashes led to 57 traffic fatalities, and 107 survivors suffered serious, incapacitating injuries.
Unlike some states, Texas does not have a “super drunk” or “extreme DWI” law. Under Texas law, you are guilty of drunk driving if your blood-alcohol content (BAC) is at or above 0.08%. For people under 21 years old, Texas has a zero-tolerance policy. Unfortunately, Texans often ignore these laws and drive while drunk or drugged anyway.
Criminal Sentencing vs. Civil Liability in Drunk Driving Cases
Unlike many other types of car accidents, alcohol-related crashes often result in criminal charges. However, it’s important to understand that criminal cases and civil cases are not the same thing.
- Criminal liability: The State of Texas presses criminal charges against the drunk driver, potentially demanding jail time, community service, and other penalties.
- Civil liability: The accident victim files a lawsuit against the negligent parties, demanding financial compensation for the medical bills, lost wages, and other damages that they have suffered.
Just because a drunk driver who injured you is convicted of a crime doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be compensated. The state only has to prove the driver was drunk, but you must prove that the drunk driver directly caused your injuries. Those are different things.
However, if the state decides not to press criminal charges—or even if the driver is acquitted—that doesn’t mean you can’t still win your civil case. To be convicted of a crime, the prosecution must prove guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt.” Personal injury lawsuits have a lower burden of proof. You only need to show that the at-fault driver was more likely responsible than not. This standard is called the preponderance of evidence.
Balancing criminal and civil cases can be difficult. At Crosley Law Firm, we take a client-focused approach by communicating with prosecutors, counseling our clients, and aggressively pursuing their personal injury claims. To schedule a free case evaluation, contact us online or call 210-LAW-3000 | 210-529-3000.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Drunk Driving Accident?
In most drunk driving crashes, the fault will rest with the driver who has been drinking. However, depending on the nature of the drunk driving accident, you might have multiple claims against multiple defendants, including:
- The drunk driver
- A bar or restaurant that knowingly overserved the driver
- An individual that knowingly overserved the driver at a social event
- An adult who bought alcohol for an underage driver
- Your uninsured/underinsured motorist policy
- Any uninsured/underinsured motorist policy covering the vehicle in which you were riding
Each of these claims will involve different insurance companies, attorneys, policy limits, and legal issues.
These competing insurance companies will try to shift blame to each other to avoid liability. When this happens, it’s in your best interest to consult with an experienced San Antonio DUI accident lawyer. An attorney can help you cut through red tape and stop the insurance companies’ delay tactics.
How Much Is My Drunk Driving Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your accident claim will depend on a series of factors, including the severity of your injuries, the cost of medical treatment, the value of your lost wages, the extent of your pain and suffering, and whether you’re eligible for punitive damages.
Calculating a fair settlement for an accident involving a drunk, negligent driver is often a complex process. The value of your accident claim will depend on a series of factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical treatment, as well as future medical costs
- The current and future cost of your lost wages and reduced wage-earning capacity
- Non-economic damages you suffer, such pain and suffering, disfigurement, or loss of relationship with a loved one
- Whether or not punitive damages are warranted
- Whether or not your own actions contributed to the accident
- How much total insurance coverage is available
At Crosley Law Firm, we focus on car and truck accident claims involving serious injuries and wrongful death. We work with our clients to identify and document their financial losses, quantify their pain and suffering, and demand punitive damages when appropriate. We also carefully review the facts of each case and the related insurance policies, looking for additional coverage or claims that might help you make a larger financial recovery.
Contact the Crosley Law Firm Today
Crosley Law Firm has the skill, experience, and tenacity you need on your side while taking on a drunk driver’s insurance company. If you need experienced, sophisticated, and determined legal representation, contact us by completing our online form or calling 210-LAW-3000 | 210-529-3000 to schedule a free consultation with an attorney.
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Do you or a family member
need legal advice?
Crosley Law Firm, PC is a professional corporation of trial lawyers focused on representing individuals and families who have suffered serious personal injuries or wrongful death.