6 Common Causes of Truck Accidents and How to Prove Them
After a serious truck accident, your friends and family will probably ask you, “what happened?” Many times, there’s no clear answer. Sure, the truck veered into your lane or jack-knifed, but what happened in the moments before the wreck? Could it have been avoided? What should you do next?
At Crosley Law, we help answer those questions. Our experienced truck accident lawyers use cutting-edge techniques to investigate victims’ claims and hold at-fault parties accountable. In this article, our team outlines some of the most common causes of truck wrecks and how we help victims get the compensation and justice they deserve.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
In 2018, 4,136 people died in large truck crashes, and 67% of these deaths were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, while 16% were truck occupants and 15% were motorcyclists, pedestrians, or bicyclists. While every truck wreck involves its own unique set of facts, researchers and traffic safety experts have identified the most common factors.
- Driver fatigue and illness: Whether a truck driver has the flu, suffers a heart attack, or is falling asleep at the wheel, the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) categorizes it as “non-performance,” a top reason for commercial truck crashes. While there are strict rules about the number of hours a trucker can drive and their health, trucking companies frequently break the law and push their drivers beyond their limits.
- Distracted driving: Inattention can be caused by an electronic device, daydreaming, rubbernecking, eating, and many other activities. Unfortunately, 28% of truck wrecks are due to distracted driving and recognition issues.
- Driver error: Poor decision-making by truck drivers is one of the common causes of truck accidents. This may involve a driver misjudging how fast other vehicles were going, driving too fast for the road conditions, following other vehicles too closely, or speeding.
- Poor truck maintenance: Brake problems and tire problems are also contributing factors to truck accidents throughout the U.S. Again, the federal government has strict rules about truck inspections and preventive maintenance, but companies sometimes prioritize profits over safety.
- Dangerous and defective truck parts: Tire blowouts, brake failures, and sudden acceleration are sometimes due to dangerous or defective truck parts, not driver error. In these cases, it’s important to preserve the parts so an expert can evaluate their design and manufacturing.
- Negligent hiring and training: Due to driver shortages, some trucking companies hire unqualified drivers or fail to train their teams. Inexperienced and poorly trained truckers are more likely to cause crashes.
Proving Fault After a Truck Accident
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, you may know that going up against a commercial trucking company can be extremely difficult. The company will attempt to avoid liability—and may even try to blame you for the wreck. Its motivation is simple: the company doesn’t want to pay your medical bills or cover your lost income.
That’s why many victims get help from an experienced truck accident lawyer. At your initial consultation, your lawyer will listen to your side of the story, taking notes, and asking questions. Then, they’ll review the police report, your medical records, and any other crash investigation reports that are available. But, at Crosley Law, that’s just the beginning. Our team of truck wreck attorneys goes the extra mile:
- Preserving the truck’s black box, dashcam, and other electronic data (when applicable)
- Demanding copies of the driver’s hours of service and maintenance logs
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Consulting with experts, including doctors, engineers, and accident reconstruction specialists
- Inspecting the crash site and damaged vehicles (when possible)
- Reviewing trucking company records about the driver’s safety record, training, and drug and alcohol tests
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Get Answers
The expert truck wreck lawyers at Crosley Law help their clients uncover the reasons behind their truck wreck and get the compensation they deserve. We closely examine their cases, collect evidence, and attempt to prove that the truck driver and their employer were at fault.
Our track record speaks for itself. One of our clients suffered a traumatic brain injury from a head-on collision with an 18-wheeler truck tractor was awarded $16 million. Another client settled her case for $250,000 after a reckless truck driver crashed into her car, causing her debilitating pain and a mild traumatic brain injury.
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study – Analysis Brief (2007, July). Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Retrieved from https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety/research-and-analysis/large-truck-crash-causation-study-analysis-brief
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Related ArticlesView All Blog Articles
Delayed Concussion Symptoms and Post-Concussion Syndrome Following a Motor Vehicle Crash: The Lingering ImpactJul 12, 2023
Concussions are among the most frequent injuries brought on by car accidents. Unfortunately, sometimes even “mild” concussions can have disastrous effects. While many people fully recover from their concussion, a significant percentage (roughly 15 to 20 percent) still experience persistent post-concussion symptoms months or even years after the initial head injury. And because concussion symptoms […]
How to Deal With a Private Investigator After a Car AccidentApr 21, 2023
After a car wreck, you may feel like your every move is being scrutinized. Unfortunately, it may not be just your imagination. If you notice an unfamiliar car parked in front of your home, school, or workplace; or if you receive a strange friend request on social media, a private investigator might be tracking your […]
What Is the Average Payout for a Rear-End Collision?Mar 13, 2023
You were stopped at a red light, minding your own business. Suddenly, a truck rear-ends you, pushing your car into the middle of an intersection. Now, you’re living with severe back pain and your doctors are suggesting surgery. Your car accident case is worth a lot of money, right? Maybe. The reality is, there’s no […]
I’m Being Blamed for a Car Accident That Wasn’t My Fault—What Should I Do?Feb 22, 2023
“My word against your word” scenarios happen all the time after auto accidents, especially when there are few other witnesses at the scene. Being accused of causing a car crash that wasn’t your fault can make you feel helpless and angry, especially when no one else is around to support your story. Getting blamed for […]
How Long Does a Car Accident Settlement Take in Texas (and When Will I Get My Money)?Feb 02, 2023
Car accident settlements are rarely quick and easy affairs. While some cases might settle in just a few months, 18 months is fairly typical—and others can last even longer. Although the facts of the case (and the obligations of the insurance company) might seem obvious enough to you, the settlement process will take some time—especially […]
What Is the Texas Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury (and When Should I File My Lawsuit)?Feb 01, 2023
One of the first questions many people have an injury is, “How long do I have to make a personal injury claim?” While that’s an extremely important piece of information to know, it can also be misleading—and in some ways, the wrong question to ask. Here’s the short answer: In most cases, you have two […]
What Should You Do After a FedEx Truck Crash in Texas?Dec 09, 2022
With more than 100,000 vehicles, nearly 125,000 drivers, and an annual revenue estimated at around $84 billion, FedEx is easily one of the largest trucking companies in the United States. With numbers like these, it’s no surprise that FedEx freight trucks are involved in injury-causing truck crashes nearly every day on American roads. In fact, […]
Out-of-State Car Accident Jurisdiction: A Visitor’s Guide to Texas Injury LawNov 03, 2022
Texas isn’t just the second most populous state in the U.S. It’s also one of our nation’s biggest destinations for out-of-state travelers. According to Travel Texas, the state hosts more than 70 million visitors per year. While we certainly wish that everyone who visits our state enjoys a stress-free trip, the reality is that more […]
What Happens if You Get in an Accident With a Delivery Truck Driver?Nov 01, 2022
If your neighborhood is anything like ours, chances are you see a steady stream of delivery trucks, vans, and other vehicles pass by your house or apartment on a daily basis. The trend really took off at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, but it certainly shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. Nowadays, […]
How to Prepare for a Deposition in a Texas Personal Injury CaseOct 24, 2022
If you’ve suffered a personal injury that wasn’t your fault and you need to file a civil lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve, sooner or later you will likely have to provide your personal testimony in a deposition. Although depositions are not given before a judge, the things that you say will be considered […]
Do you or a family member
need legal advice?
Crosley Law Firm, PC is a professional corporation of trial lawyers focused on representing individuals and families who have suffered serious personal injuries or wrongful death.