6 Common Causes of Truck Accidents and How to Prove Them
After a serious truck accident, your friends and family will probably ask you, “what happened?” Many times, there’s no clear answer. Sure, the truck veered into your lane or jack-knifed, but what happened in the moments before the wreck? Could it have been avoided? What should you do next?
At Crosley Law, we help answer those questions. Our experienced truck accident lawyers use cutting-edge techniques to investigate victims’ claims and hold at-fault parties accountable. In this article, our team outlines some of the most common causes of truck wrecks and how we help victims get the compensation and justice they deserve.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
In 2018, 4,136 people died in large truck crashes, and 67% of these deaths were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, while 16% were truck occupants and 15% were motorcyclists, pedestrians, or bicyclists. While every truck wreck involves its own unique set of facts, researchers and traffic safety experts have identified the most common factors.
- Driver fatigue and illness: Whether a truck driver has the flu, suffers a heart attack, or is falling asleep at the wheel, the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) categorizes it as “non-performance,” a top reason for commercial truck crashes. While there are strict rules about the number of hours a trucker can drive and their health, trucking companies frequently break the law and push their drivers beyond their limits.
- Distracted driving: Inattention can be caused by an electronic device, daydreaming, rubbernecking, eating, and many other activities. Unfortunately, 28% of truck wrecks are due to distracted driving and recognition issues.
- Driver error: Poor decision-making by truck drivers is one of the common causes of truck accidents. This may involve a driver misjudging how fast other vehicles were going, driving too fast for the road conditions, following other vehicles too closely, or speeding.
- Poor truck maintenance: Brake problems and tire problems are also contributing factors to truck accidents throughout the U.S. Again, the federal government has strict rules about truck inspections and preventive maintenance, but companies sometimes prioritize profits over safety.
- Dangerous and defective truck parts: Tire blowouts, brake failures, and sudden acceleration are sometimes due to dangerous or defective truck parts, not driver error. In these cases, it’s important to preserve the parts so an expert can evaluate their design and manufacturing.
- Negligent hiring and training: Due to driver shortages, some trucking companies hire unqualified drivers or fail to train their teams. Inexperienced and poorly trained truckers are more likely to cause crashes.
Proving Fault After a Truck Accident
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, you may know that going up against a commercial trucking company can be extremely difficult. The company will attempt to avoid liability—and may even try to blame you for the wreck. Its motivation is simple: the company doesn’t want to pay your medical bills or cover your lost income.
That’s why many victims get help from an experienced truck accident lawyer. At your initial consultation, your lawyer will listen to your side of the story, taking notes, and asking questions. Then, they’ll review the police report, your medical records, and any other crash investigation reports that are available. But, at Crosley Law, that’s just the beginning. Our team of truck wreck attorneys goes the extra mile:
- Preserving the truck’s black box, dashcam, and other electronic data (when applicable)
- Demanding copies of the driver’s hours of service and maintenance logs
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Consulting with experts, including doctors, engineers, and accident reconstruction specialists
- Inspecting the crash site and damaged vehicles (when possible)
- Reviewing trucking company records about the driver’s safety record, training, and drug and alcohol tests
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Get Answers
The expert truck wreck lawyers at Crosley Law help their clients uncover the reasons behind their truck wreck and get the compensation they deserve. We closely examine their cases, collect evidence, and attempt to prove that the truck driver and their employer were at fault.
Our track record speaks for itself. One of our clients suffered a traumatic brain injury from a head-on collision with an 18-wheeler truck tractor was awarded $16 million. Another client settled her case for $250,000 after a reckless truck driver crashed into her car, causing her debilitating pain and a mild traumatic brain injury.
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study – Analysis Brief (2007, July). Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Retrieved from https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety/research-and-analysis/large-truck-crash-causation-study-analysis-brief
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Related ArticlesView All Blog Articles
Out-of-State Car Accident Jurisdiction: A Visitor’s Guide to Texas Injury LawNov 03, 2022
Texas isn’t just the second most populous state in the U.S. It’s also one of our nation’s biggest destinations for out-of-state travelers. According to Travel Texas, the state hosts more than 70 million visitors per year. While we certainly wish that everyone who visits our state enjoys a stress-free trip, the reality is that more […]
What Happens if You Get in an Accident With a Delivery Truck Driver?Nov 01, 2022
If your neighborhood is anything like ours, chances are you see a steady stream of delivery trucks, vans, and other vehicles pass by your house or apartment on a daily basis. The trend really took off at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, but it certainly shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. Nowadays, […]
How to Prepare for a Deposition in a Texas Personal Injury CaseOct 24, 2022
If you’ve suffered a personal injury that wasn’t your fault and you need to file a civil lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve, sooner or later you will likely have to provide your personal testimony in a deposition. Although depositions are not given before a judge, the things that you say will be considered […]
Can You Get a Concussion Without Hitting Your Head?Sep 21, 2022
Concussions, also known as mild traumatic brain injuries, are far more common than most people realize. Most estimates figure at least 3 million new cases occur in the United States each year, with falls, sports accidents, and car crashes commonly responsible. But because so many people with mild traumatic brain injury delay or skip medical […]
U-Turn Laws in Texas: Who’s at Fault After a Crash?Aug 24, 2022
There’s a lot of confusion about Texas’ U-turn laws. While U-turns are generally legal in Texas and a convenient way to quickly change direction, they’re also known for leading to numerous car accidents. If you’ve been involved in a U-turn accident, it might not be immediately clear who is at fault. First, although the driver […]
11 Things You Need to Know About a Bicycle Accident Insurance Claim in San AntonioJul 23, 2022
Cycling is a great way to get some fresh air, exercise, and save on gas money. So it’s no surprise that bike commuting is increasing in popularity. But even with dedicated bike lanes and increased awareness of cyclists, motor vehicle accidents are still a serious concern. While San Antonio has made great strides in becoming […]
5 Reasons You Should Always Talk to a Commercial Vehicle Accident Lawyer After a CrashJul 21, 2022
After a traffic accident, you have a lot to think about and plenty of decisions to make. One of them is whether you’ll work with a commercial vehicle accident lawyer to demand compensation for your losses. You should always talk to an attorney if you’ve been hurt in a car or truck accident. No matter […]
What Causes Texas Oil Truck Accidents (and What to Do If You’re Injured)Jul 13, 2022
In Texas, the oil and gas industry is big business. More than 400,000 Texans are directly employed within the industry, helping to produce, transport, and refine more than 1.5 billion barrels of crude oil per year. The sheer amount of oil tankers we have on the ground virtually guarantees that at least a few serious […]
Considering a New Braunfels Car Accident Lawyer? Here’s What You Need to KnowJul 07, 2022
New Braunfels, TX has come a long way in just a few decades. Comal County remains one of the fastest growing in the country, and new developments continue to be built throughout the region. One negative consequence of all this growth? An increase in car accidents. There were 2,715 recorded crashes in the county in […]
How Much Is a Good Settlement for Nerve Damage After a Car Accident?May 27, 2022
Nerve damage is common after auto accidents. Nerves are sensitive, fragile tissues that can easily be pinched, compressed, crushed, or even severed in a serious accident—potentially leading to serious and lifelong physical and emotional distress. Unfortunately, pinched nerves and other injuries are not always immediately apparent following a crash, which can prevent car accident victims […]
Do you or a family member
need legal advice?
Crosley Law Firm, PC is a professional corporation of trial lawyers focused on representing individuals and families who have suffered serious personal injuries or wrongful death. If you’ve been injured, fill out the form for a free consultation, or call 210-LAW-3000.